Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Responses

The way people respond to something always interests me. This little endeavor is a case in point. I am blessed with a very tolerant partner, who raised an eyebrow, expressed her doubts that I would finish the project then went back to reading Salt by Mark Kurlansky.

Friends who are in to bikes have responded in a number of ways. The one who is always ripping bits of this bike or that bike, was all "can I play too!" the other one who believes it has to be made in a Taiwanese Factory with stickers applied by an Italian, was quite encouraging as well.

The response I found most interesting was from the guy with the shed full of bikes, who seems to equate the Beast with the desire to recreate outdoor plumbing and the long drop toilet. Lots of "Do you know how horrible those seats are?" and "Why would you want something that old? I'm trying to get rid of my old bikes"

In truth, I'm not sure who is right; him or me. I suspect in our unique ways we both are. I for one, wouldn't be tackling a Sportive or anything on it, and I sure as hell won't be tackling any big climbs on the Beast. I have an image in my head of this as more of a cruiser, a social bike. Put on the replica jersey, or don the Tweed and join a social ride, that kind of thing. The Beast is also a "Boy Project" its a practical, intellectual and creative outlet, and I am getting a great deal of pleasure from it as such. Whilst I have been riding for many years, I've tended to put maintenance into the "Let's pay us a bike mechanic to look after it" category. I find the notion of taking to my Carbon Avanti with a Hammer, which I've had to do with the Beast somewhat intimidating. Maybe I'm wrong, but my modern bikes also feel as if they are more complicated than the Peugeot.

Making contact with other enthusiasts, playing about in old LBS' hunting for sources and information is all part of the thrill.

To use something of a Buzz Phrase, I'm looking at this project 'Holistically

Part of what appeals to me about the Peugeot, even though I keep referring to it as the Beast at the moment, is its beauty as an object. I've always wanted a Peugeot, (Yes I am that weird) and originally planned to take the frame from this, and update it heavily. Then once I got in close and looked at the way the components are styled, rather than designed from a functional/rational stance, I came around to the idea of keeping it and restoring it. Had the paintwork been in better condition, I would probably already be riding it, but yeah. I've spent several pleasant hours pouring over old catalogs, and raiding archive image collections, partly because of research, but also because of the romance of racing in the 70's. Anyone who has ever ridden, ever tackled a hill, ever felt the thing moving about underneath them at high speed cannot help respect these athletes.



Spend an afternoon with Stars and Water Carriers or A Sunday in Hell, trying to understand Merckx' drive, or marvelling at the old school machinery and woolen jerseys, and I think you'll get where I'm coming from.

No comments:

Post a Comment